Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
26296561

I cosigned into a lease with 2 other people, but i only paid

Customer Question

i cosigned into a lease with 2 other people, but i only paid the security deposit. the contract lease ended 4 months ago but didn't renew it. i gave notice to move out, only me, and ts been almost a month, and landlord says he can't give me a move out walk thru and security deposit back because the other two guys are still living there and they haven't renewed their new contract lease without me.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have a legal question that I can answer for you about the situation you have described in your post?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how can i receive back my security deposit and not be included in the leasing contract? i've been moved out about a month now and the other two current tenants don't want to renew a new lease contract with the landlord, that is the reason why the landlord says he cannot refund me back my security deposit, because tenants are still living in the property

Thank you for your follow up.

Did the lease specify the amount of rent that each tenant would pay or was the total rent to be paid by all joint tenants?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not each tenant, only total rent to be paid

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, all tenants listed on the lease where all tenants are personally and severally liable for lease rent payments are liable for the entire amount of monthly rent, the all of the tenants who have to comply with the lease terms, before the landlord would be required to return any part of the security deposit and if the other joint tenant are in violation of the lease and are refusing to vacate the rental unit upon the end of the lease, then the joint tenant who complied and moved out, can pursue a lawsuit against the joint tenants for any damages related to the breach of the lease, such as non-return of the tenant's (who moved out) security deposit.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.