AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience

I live in a mobile home park. The manager says that an owner

Customer Question

I live in a mobile home park. The manager says that an owner cannot rent out a room. I was thinking about this. If I, the owner gave a portion of ownership to each person that was renting a room, can the manager say that is unacceptable legally? And if I cannot give away part of ownership, then could I charge the renter a sum of money to correct this situation?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
When I moved in, after purchasing the mobile home, there was a requirement that one had to have someone 55 years of age or older. Since then the rules were changed when the two story mobile homes were put in a while back.
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 17 days ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

This is an interesting situation. The answer would depend on the manager's basis for not allowing you to rent the room. Is that coming from a contract you have signed with him or covenants that are recorded against the property, and what do the provisions state exactly?

You would have to read those to be able to determine the answer.

But one creative way to do this would be to sell the mobile home to a business entity that you set up with the state. Then you could sell "shares" (read: rooms) of the business to people that you want to "rent" to and the bylaws of the business would have to talk about owners of shares have to pay a certain amount into the business. It's a creative solution, for sure.