Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

There is a Life Estate in place, 6 grantee"s noted, one

Customer Question

There is a Life Estate in place, 6 grantee"s noted, one grantee deceased and the grantor is ill and her Durable Power of Attorney has an offer on the property. What forms should be signed for the remaining grantee's and the deceased grantee???
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: Ohio, not sure what paper work you mean, have an offer to purchase property and need to know if all just sign offer, but most of all what needs to be done because one has passed away.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The Life Tenant (or her POA) and the 5 living grantees would have to sign the deed in order to transfer title to the property. The deceased grantee's executor/administrator would have to sign the deed on that person's behalf. IF no estate has been opened, then that should be done OR the deceased person's heirs at law could file a petition to determine heirship and get a court order determining the heirs at law in order for them to sign his interest over to the buyer(s).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ur saying they need to sign somewhere on the deed and it is done
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would like answer to question before I decide to go further
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

They will need to sign the deed -- at the very least. They may also need to sign the purchase contract (if there is one).

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

The main issue you'll have is establishing the heirs at law of the deceased grantee in order to properly transfer title.