Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.

I am in escrow on a house in Fullerton California I am

Customer Question

I am in escrow on a house in Fullerton California I am purchasing "as is" from investment group that bought 1955 house and remodeled it without taking residence there. They used a licensed contractor to do a lot of work including rebuilding a wall. It has a raised foundation and a termite guy, contractor and engineer have crawled under the house and all say the contractor built the wall and foundation retrofitting incorrectly and probably at least $10,000 to repair. I know I have no recourse against seller, but is contractor still liable for his shoddy work even though we buy "as is"?
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 14 days ago.
As-is only applies to the seller in a real estate purchase contract. Any applicable contractor warranties and liability is not affected by an as-is purchase. It only affects remedies against the seller.
Expert:  Loren replied 14 days ago.
If you have further questions, please, feel free to continue. Otherwise, if you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!