Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I am in escrow on a house in Fullerton California I am

Customer Question

I am in escrow on a house in Fullerton California I am purchasing "as is" from investment group that bought 1955 house and remodeled it without taking residence there. They used a licensed contractor to do a lot of work including rebuilding a wall. It has a raised foundation and a termite guy, contractor and engineer have crawled under the house and all say the contractor built the wall and foundation retrofitting incorrectly and probably at least $10,000 to repair. I know I have no recourse against seller, but is contractor still liable for his shoddy work even though we buy "as is"?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
As-is only applies to the seller in a real estate purchase contract. Any applicable contractor warranties and liability is not affected by an as-is purchase. It only affects remedies against the seller.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
If you have further questions, please, feel free to continue. Otherwise, if you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!