RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Are there any RE attys who take cases on a contingency

Customer Question

Are there any RE attys who take cases on a contingency basis? In a nutshell, we feel that our realtors really dropped the ball, lost an offer at !.495,000 and after many months the only other offer we received was for $1,250. Due to circumstances, especially utter lack of advice and counsel from our agent, we ended up signing the binder. The inspection has been done and they want to take possession by 11/30! All in all, we feel our representatives did a poor job and lost of $200K+. Is this a case that an atty would take on a contingency? Thanks for any help and advice.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

As I see it, the claim is against the original realtors for negligence. for their failure to properly advise you, and the resulting damages -the loss of additional income on the property. Contingency fees (typically a percentage of an available sum, as in retroactive benefits, judgment, or damages settlement) are commonly used in certain types of cases, normally where liability is fairly certain and damages are great (since the lawyers are fronting all costs and expenses). I can't say that it would typically be used in a case like this -normally contingency cases are seen in areas like medical malpractice or disability and worker's compensation, so it's much more likely that a lawyer would want a fee agreement that pays them hourly. That said, it's not legally unethical to do so in this type of case as it would be in some types of cases (e.g., a lawyer cannot take a criminal case on a contingency basis because it violates legal ethics).

You may try calling one of the lawyer referral services in Connecticut in your area to see if they can help you find local counsel willing to take the case on contingency.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!