Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience

We put a contract on a house when we had it inspected we

Customer Question

we put a contract on a house when we had it inspected we found several issues under the house in a effort to get in released we put everything on the list which included mold and structure problems thinking they would just say they would not repair it. To our surprise they are going to repair the house. after find out the mold issue and it was for my daughter and her friends to stay at college. I did not feel confortable with that. they are now forcing us to continue with the purchase even though we said we do not want it.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: virginia
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: what do you mean filed my agent has sent the papaerwork back and forth between agents
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's all
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 21 days ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 21 days ago.

You will need to inspect the real estate contract you signed and look for a clause that allows you to cancel the contract if major problems are found during the home inspection, like mold. If the contract did not allow for immediate cancellation at that point or if you failed to exercise that option in a timely manner, then check for wording which allows the seller a specified time period to remedy the problem before you have the right to cancel the deal. You will now need to wait for the remedy time stipulated in the contract, if any, to pass before canceling the contract. Or, if the mold remediation is not done properly as per an independent expert, you may be able to argue that the seller breached the contract and ask for recession at that time.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.