Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

Last month someone keyed my daughters care in the

Customer Question

Hello, last month someone keyed my daughters care in the underground parking structure and she requested a new parking space from the landlord. The landlord made an error and assigned 2 tenants the same parking space both tenants thinking it was their space. When she came home from work someone was parked in her new parking space and she notified the landlord. The landlord told her to call the tow truck to have the car towed. She parked in her old space and waited to see if a car was parked in her new space the next day. When she got off work the next day only a motorcyle was parked in her new space and she went ahead and parked in her new space and left a note on the motorcycle for the person to move their motorcyle and informed them that that was her new assigned parking space. When she got up to go to work the next morning, her car was towed by the tenant who owned the motorcyle and he left a sarcastic note on the ground for her. She contacted the landlord to let them know that her car got towed. She went to Long Beach to get her car back and paid 275.00. The landlord told her that they would get in contact with the tenant and have them to reimburse the 275.00. When the landlord found out that they had assigned the new parking space to 2 separate tenants then the offered to deduct the 275.00 off of her rent for the month of October. Her rent is a little over 1600.00 a month every month except for the month of October the landland told her to pay a little over 1400.00 for that month. Every month she drops her money order in the drop box in the office on the first of each month. No problem, no hassles. It wasnt until this month of October they started harassing her and when she came home yesterday she had a 3 day notice on her door for non payment of rent. No one can get in drop box but them. They told her she would have to pay another 1400.00 and file a police report because someone could have fished it out of the box. What should she do? The money order has not been cashed.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me:

1) What is their allegation exactly? That she paid NO RENT AT ALL, or, she UNDERPAID (minus the $275 credit)?

2) That $275 credit off the rent - was that statement by landlord IN WRITING or VIA EMAIL? Or, verbal?

3) HAS she filed a police report?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
One Moment Please
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Their allegation is she did not pay rent and she has receipts for the rent and they served her a 3 day notice yesterday.No police report filed.The manager gave her a verbal 275.00 credit off her rent.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She pays on time on the first of each month faithfully.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hello is anyone there?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.