Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I live in a condominimus in Ft N J. I gave a NJ contractor

Customer Question

i live in a condominimus in Ft Lee N J. I gave a NJ contractor $16,050.00 as a deposit to renovate my 2 bathrooms. I never signed a contract and have a receipt. Permits, insurance docs were approved by the building
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: sorry i ended to quickly Permits were approved by the town and approved by my building admin office. When the Building superintendant told me that my renovation job would affect my downstairs neighbor's apt - breaking a wall to replace the lead pan, i told him and my contractor that i did not want that responsibility. My contractor insisted that it was something that i had to do to replace the 50yr old bathtub and that she would talke care of it since she has been doing this for 40 years - the cost was included in her quote. On Aug 24, my contractor gutted the bathroom except for one wall. After the workers left, the building superintendant and building plumber came to inspect the job and told me that my contractor had to return to remove the other wall. My contractor complied with their request the following day. The Ft Lee building inspector approved the job. The problem ensued when my contractor refused to enter the downstairs apt stating that they did not have insurance to work in another apt and wanted approval from my buildng to do so. The superintendent did not acknowledge her request. I contactied Ft Lee plumbinge inspector who met with the building administrator and my contractor and reported back to me that the building would pay for the work in the downstairs apt and that i would have to pay for the permit ($65) Not comfortable with this report, i contact the building administrator who denied that she ever said that and that i was responsible for this.p ee reporand was told that was ehpa other i men
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: sorry for the typos very difficult to type in small space bot***** *****ne is that i have one gutted out bathroom and don't know how to legally proceed , s
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 2 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
let's type
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please type

Don't be sorry for the typos. In fact I did not notice any. Contractor is NJ are required to be licensed and can be disciplined through the State which can result in losing their license.

If you get a request to add a phone call, please ignore it. I am happy to work in this format at no additional charge.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no.

I am not sure what you are replying to when you "no"? I am inclined to believe the building Administrator.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
on sep 8 building superintentend gave me the building requirements in a letter addressed to me dated August 6
- after my bathroom was gutted . Ft Lee building /plumbing inspector told me that the building is responsible for replacing the pipe/lead pan and that my contractor should not do the work in the other apt.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i am ok with talking to you at no additional charge if that is ok ************
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do we proceed?

So the question becomes who is responsible? This was after you received assurances that the contractor would

rehab the bathroom which any reasonable person would assume if that meant work in the downstairs apartment that this would be completed.

The Condo is responsible for common area maintenance issues that they have caused. Does the pipe need to replaced as a result of the Board's negligence or the work that you had performed on your unit?

You have two choices and you can use them both. You report the contractor to the State and Federal Agencies that protect consumers and you can file a lawsuit against this contractor.

You can request a phone call on your end of the site. I am happy to continue in this format.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can i ignore the $59 charge to talk?

The Attorneys have no access to customer accounts or billing. The site has a set charge for phone calls that I see on my end when a customer requests a telephone call. Let me give you the number for customer service so you can feel comfortable with the charges.

US/Canada1-***-***-****

Available 6am to 9pm PST

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you but I need a NJ attorney

I have practiced law in many jurisdictions and have 28 years of experience in these matters. Did you still want a phone call? We can certainly request a NJ Attorney for the phone call.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your time. I really want to personally meet with a NJ attorney

Would you like me to provide you with a link for a local attorney in your area that provides FREE consultations? I have notified the site of your request. We will check if a New Jersey licensed Attorney is online today.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Since you have notified the site of my request, i will wait to hear from someone
thank you

You can also contact customer service as well

US/Canada1-***-***-****

Available 6am to 9pm PST

I will check to see if the site has responded.

The Moderator responded and asked customer service to contact you. Thank you.