Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

If a tenant violates a house rule that he signed a contract

Customer Question

if a tenant violates a house rule that he signed a contract for with the consequence of immediate action of termination of the rental contract, does the landlord have to return the monthly rent paid even though the tenant is 5 days into the month. NOTE: no security deposit was collected.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This is in Honolulu, Hawaii
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No only a rental contract was signed along with the agreement of the house rules.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The action of the tenant needs immediate action and upon violation of this particular house rules, it states immediate action in the form of terminating the rental agreement. His rent is due on the 1st of every month and we are 5 days into the month. If we terminate the rental agreement, do we have to return his entire months rent?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 7 months ago.

No, unfortunately he does not have to return the rent if you breached the agreement. He should return a security deposit however.