J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

My 28 year old daughter is trying to rent an apartment in

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: My 28 year old daughter is trying to rent an apartment in Brighton MA.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: The real estate agent ***** ***** told her the next day it was unavailable. It's continued to be listed on Craigs list. She called again today and was told it was unavailable. Her friend called to inquire and was offered an appointment to view the apartment. I believe ***** *****, realtor, is denying to rent to her because Kristen is white and the guy she brought with her to see the apartment is black. He will not be living there. My attorney told me that landlords can pick and choose who they rent to - but it seems like discrimination to me. Is there anyone I can file an official complaint with? She does not want to rent from him because of this but it just isn't right! Guess I've lived a life where I treat everyone the same. My daughter is also legally blind, but I don't think ***** ***** knew that!
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Thank you
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No paperwork has been filed - I don't know where to start. Thank U
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site.

It is not 100% accurate that a person can rent a house to whom every they want. It is against the Fair Housing Act to discriminate against a person based on race, color, ethnicity, gender, nationality, age, etc...

These cases are not easy to prove but with this situation the facts could be reported to the Attorney General: http://www.mass.gov/ago/consumer-resources/your-rights/civil-rights/housing/housing-discrimination.html

In addition, the questionable ethics of the Realtor can be reported to the Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation: http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/licensee/dpl-boards/re/

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time.

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).

Any further questions or information I can provide you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, I'm good - thank you.

You are welcome, gentle reminder to rate my service. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons). Thanks!