How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Damien Bosco Your Own Question
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2439
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Damien Bosco is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister (84 yrs) Her son cheated her out of her house,

Customer Question

My sister (84 yrs)
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Her son cheated her out of her house, Maplewood, MO. He told her if she would sign the papers, he would have a garage build and fix the house up. Instead he took out a loan of 160,000. and bought himself a house. Is there anything I can do about that.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No - after he got the money he moved out and I bought her another house to live in. She now pays me rent.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He is now trying to take her mentally challenged kids away from her and she is in hosp from breaking her hip and she has dementia.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question and develop a response. We may discuss it too. Does that sound good to you?

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 6 months ago.

This sounds like fraud as well as undue influence and lack of capacity. Has anyone attempted to get a guardianship for her?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the property is in maplewood, mo, 63143
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No guardianship yet.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have been seeing a family attorney for that but it is too expensive for me. She has charged me 5000. so far.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
she wants another 3 thousand if I see her again.
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 6 months ago.

Hmmm.....Another option if you cannot afford it, is to see if the hospital where she is can apply for the guardianship. Sometimes they will do so if there is a bill to pay and the person no longer has the capacity to sign papers. It is worth the chance to ask them. OR, if she has capacity, she can execute a Power of Attorney. We can discuss more if you would like to do so.