Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I had a rental property under management by a licensed

Customer Question

I had a rental property under management by a licensed Arizona Real Estate firm, and just terminated my relationship with them as of 9-30-16. They have told me my past tenant has left, and inspection has been completed and all is fine. I now have contracted with a new property management firm effective 10-1-16. The prior firm will not release the keys to my property to me, or to my new management firm until 10-21-16, stating the house won't be ready til then? What does that mean? and why cannot I get access to my own property? I will be posting a formal complaint about this firm. Please advise what I can do, or what they think they are doing here?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

That sounds entirely suspicious to me as there is zero reason why they shouldn't immediately return the keys to you once the contract ended. If you aren't local, I would see if I could find someone to go and check on the house because that sounds very odd as there would be no logical reason for them to not return the keys unless there was something wrong that they were trying to fix or cover up before they returned them.

.

If you are local, then I would definitely check it out myself as that throws up lots of red flags..

.

I would have my contract handy as well so you can review it and see if this is stated in the contract that they can withhold the keys after their contract terminates.

.

I might even contact the new management company to see if they could go over and view the property to confirm it is vacant and then change the locks themselves so only you and them have keys..

.

.

thanks