socallegalwork
socallegalwork, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and licensed real estate broker (and Certified Distressed Property Expert), specializing in real estate matters.
63833317

My landlord found there is 358$ remaining balance occurred

Customer Question

my landlord found there is 358$ remaining balance occurred due to a mistake that happened by the old administration (he made a wrong calculation for my September rent and give me a wrong credit)
she called this morning and demaned this amount to be paid today or I'll be given 72 hours notice and the notice will go to my credit and profile
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socallegalwork replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I believe I can assist you. Just to be clear, she called you, but did not serve anything to you in writing yet?

Well, if the money is owed, she can serve you with a 3 day notice, but it would behoove her to actually provide you with an updated statement showing where the wrong credit occurred and requesting that your next rent payment include this amount.

Bot***** *****ne- if the money is owed you will have to pay it. She can prepare a 3 day notice to pay or quit, serve it on you and use that as a basis for an eviction.

As for the notice itself damaging your credit, this notice will NOT affect your credit as long as you fulfill the condition of the notice (pay the amount owed). A tenant's credit is not affected unless the tenant fails to pay and the landlord completes a successful legal action in court against you.