Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Party A buys 10 acres of land, divides it into two 5 acre

Customer Question

party A buys 10 acres of land , divides it into two 5 acre lots. party A keeps 5 acres and party B keeps 5 acres. party A sells property to C and C sells to D. C is aware that the road that B uses is going to close down by the state, thereby land locking B. Does party B have a claim against party D to grant an easement by necessity this prperty is in North Dakota
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NORTH DAKOTA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no,
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Does party B have a claim against party D to grant an easement by necessity this prperty is in North Dakota

.

Yes, the law disfavors landlocked parcels as they are essentially valueless. So the law seeks the highest and best use of land and will therefore grant an easement by necessity over a neighbors land the shortest distance to the nearest public road.

.

If D won't voluntarily grant an easement, B could file a "quiet title" lawsuit and a judge would award them an easement by necessity.

.

.

thanks