Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

After a quick bit of research, I believe I am being

Customer Question

After a quick bit of research, I believe I am being illegally evicted from my current home. The only official notice I have received is a typed note that my landlord gave to my Dad, who is currently visiting, saying I needed to be out by October 1st, that she dropped off on September 26th. When I called and explained that I couldn't be out in 5 days she has "allowed" me to stay only until the 15th, at the cost of a half-month's rent, because she has already leased the house to someone else.
A little back story: She sent me a new lease in June. I called and explained to her that I wouldn't feel right signing a new lease being that I knew I would be leaving before it was over, because of my purchasing a home. I just wanted her to have reasonable expectation of what was going on, and have done my best to keep her appraised of the current situations as they arrive. She has continued to accept my rent since then. At no point did I say when I would be leaving, just that I would stay as long as I could, continue to keep her in the loop, and give her the two-month notice that was in the lease (despite being asked verbally to give four months notice).
Since her announcement that I am evicted I have purchased a storage unit and have begun moving out all of my non-essentials, and will move out the rest before the fifteenth as necessary and able. I have no real alternative place to live because moving elsewhere would require the money I have tied up in the house, and most likely a lease.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you saying that she has just given you a written notice to move?

.

Have you paid the rent for October?

.

.

thanks.