Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I am purchasing a villa in a community with an HOA. I have

Customer Question

I am purchasing a villa in a community with an HOA. I have felonies in my past (nothing dangerous or violent, and the most recent was grand theft from 10 years ago) and I am worried about being denied. I have several drug possessions from 20 plus years ago. I have since turned my life around and I am Florida State Licensed Counselor. Should I be worried about approval?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Florida law allows denial of sale to individuals with a criminal record. So there is a chance that if that bylaw is in place, that the HOA may deny the sale.

The easiest thing to do is to approach the HOA and ask. If they do not have such a bylaw on the books, then the HOA cannot block the sale. There is a risk however, that they would have that bylaw on the books, and if so, I am afraid they may have that right, then.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.