Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

We were selling a home in Citrus county Fl. A buyer came. We

Customer Question

We were selling a home in Citrus county Fl. A buyer came. We were told preapproved. They had house inspection and bank appraisal done. All perfect. 5 days before closing we are told they lied on bad credit on income everything so no mortgage. And we get no deposit back and incurred thousands in expenses as we rented an apt 9 days ago to live in till we find another home and moving expenses sold our furniture and now continued upkeep of our home as well as rent expense We lost 59 days of showing because of them and potential sale, and the house doesn't show as well empty. We must drive back 5hrs to check on it as well. Do we have the right to sue for damages or anything? Thank you. Barbara Rebone
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 22 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about what happened. In the contract, there is typically dates upon which certain financing contingencies need to be met. I know this was 5 days prior to closing but in a typical contract, the time would have already passed, whereby the contingency would allow them to back out. Also, did you sign and release their deposit, so it would be returned to them?