Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I assumed a property line based on old corner posts and

Customer Question

I assumed a property line based on old corner posts and other factors sch as plat maps. I have used this property for 30 years. Now my neighbor had his land surveyed and the line runs about 20 feet on what I thought was my property. I heard that this land could be mine based on some law. Is this true
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question and develop a response. We may discuss it too. Does that sound good to you?

Yes. It could be true through what is called adverse possession. We can discuss it.

Below is what you need to meet for it:

Adverse possession must be:

1) hostile (against the right of the true owner and without permission)

2) actual (exercising control over the property)

3) exclusive (in the possession of the trespasser alone)

4) open and notorious (using the property as the real owner would, without hiding his or her occupancy), and

5) continuous for the statutory period (which is 15 years in Michigan under Mich. Comp. Laws Ann. §(###) ###-####4)).

We can discuss it more if you would like to do so.

Hello Jim: I have not heard back from you. If you need additional assistance, please let me know. Otherwise, I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love you to give me a 5 star rating. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. But if you still need help, let me know. Best regards, Damien