N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

My daughter bought a house last year and was not told

Customer Question

My daughter bought a house last year and was not told anything about the house. We found out after the purchase that the previous owner had been foreclosed on but barracked himself in the house continuing to live there with no power or water. He continued to use the restroom and had over 30 cats. The house at one time had an infestation of bees. The city was going to condemn the house but a house flipper purchased it and supposedly redid the house. The real estate agent that sold the house works for the same firm that was selling the house for the flipper. She recommended the inspection agent to my daughter. He told my daughter the tub drained slow but everything else was ok. She purchased the home in the summer so when it came time to use the heater it wouldn't heat the house even though it was supposed to be a brand new unit. When heater guy came out he said only one side was hooked up and another electric line would have to be run to support the extra load. The heater guy also said the way it was hooked up was illegal because it was old wiring. My daughter has had to have several plumber to come out because the plumbing backs up and overflows but also comes up in the bathtub. We have painted but you can still tell that cats had the run of the place at one time. Is there anything she can do.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

It sounds like she can sue the inspector for negligence and/or fraud, and may be able to sue the seller and seller's agent for fraud for failing to disclose material information that was known to them, but the fraud claim will depend on what the terms of the sale were. She needs a local attorney to go over the paperwork and the facts and then advise her of her remedies.

She can get a free consultation from some of the Texas real estate attorneys listed by location here.

I hope this information is helpful.