Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.

I rented a house in vanocuver wa advertised for 1600 per

Customer Question

I rented a house in vanocuver wa advertised for 1600 per month with a house on 3 acres. We paid 5200 dollars to get in and on the day we signed our papers the land lord informed us that he was putting a rv site on the property to rent out. He asked if we knew of anyone looking for a site to rent and it just so happened we did. Rather than have him put someone we didnt know on the property we said we would have a friend rent that space from the landlord. The rv site looked as if it had its own hook ups because lines were ran out to the site, little did we know it was being ran off of the house both water and electricity. When we confronted the landlord with this information he said he told us that it was going to be ran off the house, I assure you he did not, we would of never agreed to this. He told us deal with it or we can get out. Now he is moving another rv onto this property and hooking them onto our water and electricity again. He said we can deal with it until he can get it hooked up the proper way. We told him that we do not agree to this and he said its not our choice its his property and he is doing it. Do we have any rights? How can he make us pay for other peoples electric and water and take back he signed for us to rent. Our rental agreement states 1 dwelling on 3 acres not 3 dwellings with shared utilities. HELP.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 20 days ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Your landlord is, indeed, in breach of the lease since the lease gives you EXCLUSIVE possession of the home and 3 acres of land.

The landlord has no legal authority under the lease to rent the property to anyone else but you.

In other words, the landlord has no legal right to unilaterally amend the lease.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
what can we do he says if we dont like it we can get out.
Expert:  Loren replied 20 days ago.

I attempted to accept your phone call request and received the following message:
"Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation."

If you can resolve the problem I look forward to speaking with you.

Otherwise, I am happy to continue online with you.

Expert:  Loren replied 20 days ago.

You would need to sue the landlord. They can not rent a property to you and then rent the same property to others. You would be entitled to money damages from the landlord (as would anyone else he tries to rent the property to).

Hopefully the lease includes a provision allowing you to collect attorney fees, in addition to other damages for the landlord's breach.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
i changed the info but i have a dentist appointment right now can we talk later
Expert:  Loren replied 20 days ago.

Did you see my answer? Did you still need a phone call?

Expert:  Loren replied 17 days ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!