CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.

How do I get my foreclosed property back?

Customer Question

Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 21 days ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this matter, and the foreclosure of your home.

-If your home was foreclosed due to non-payment of your mortgage, there is no statutory redemption rights. What this means is that you do not have a right to regain possession or ownership of your property following the sale. You can try to negotiate a purchase of the property from the party that successfully bid on it at the foreclosure auction, but they have no legal obligation to sell it to you).

-If your home was foreclosed due to non-payment of taxes, there is a 2 year redemption period - but you must act quickly. This is summarized here, but I would recommend retaining a tax attorney to assist you: