CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

My condo was totally demolish due to a fire, the are

Customer Question

My condo was totally demolish due to a fire , the are rebuilding,Im i still responsible for Hoa fee,i no longer
Receiving services
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of the fire and loss to your home.

The HOA fees are still going to be owed for the Association - it still needs to function, and still needs the fees to continue the very expensive management of reconstruction of the common elements (you are still an owner and still have a vested interest in returning the property to its prior condition - unfortunately this takes money, including the HOA management fees).

Regarding the utilities, this is more likely a necessity for keeping access to your unit (you must maintain these utility access rights pending completion of the construction).

Some utilities may allow temporary disconnects, but they depend more on the utility than your HOA. Do contact your HOA Board and see if they can negotiate a deal with the utilities (unit bargaining is more effective than single owner, and it may be more effective).