Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I have rented from the same place since 2002... I had an

Customer Question

I have rented from the same place since 2002... I had an agreement to never be later than the 12th with my rent... I usually just drop it in the lock box or bring it in.. This month i had someone drop it off for me...like i have done many times before...they are now saying they never received it... Not telling me until i found an eviction notice on the ground outside my apartment.. They said i have to be be gone by Monday the 3rd and they are changing the locks and putting my stuff on the street... I'm not going to let that happen.... Will i be arrested if i refuse to leave?? I have never been in trouble my whole life and don't know what to do..... Please help.....
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have written lease and if you do, when does it expire?

Did you offer to pay the missing rent? Do you have any proof that the rent was dropped off to the landlord?

Please clarify.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They never give receipts. I told them i would try to find the receipt for the 1000 money order... I told them if that is how it has to be... Fine... Why would I lie about paying rent??? I will leave but NOT on Monday..... I need at least 2 weeks to find a new place and to move....

What type of notice were you given and when?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not sure when it expires... I found the eviction notice on the ground outside my apartment..

Thank you for your follow up.

Do you know if the landlord / property management company filed an eviction case through the courts?

Do you have a copy of your current lease?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't have a copy.... I don't know.. It was just a piece of paper.. Shouldn't it of been given to me in person?? I don't have the money to double pay.... If i have to go.... I will i just need to know how to get more time and not get arrested......

Thank you for your follow up.

You don't have a copy of the notice that was given to you?

Did you offer to pay any delinquent rent for September and also for October?