Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I had an agent who showed me twice the houses (about 10-15),

Customer Question

I had an agent who showed me twice the houses (about 10-15), disliked due to his limited knowledge, skills, and unprofessional behaviors, and do not believe he can represent my interests. I offered him a compensation and told him that I don't want to work with him anymore. However I am interested to buy one of the houses he showed me, which he did not think I am the appropriate buyer. I negotiated the price myself with the owner and the owner's agent, as I did not believe he can do it for me ( he told me a much higher price he can negotiated for me, which is $50,000 more than I have now). He continues to insist to stay as my agent or to compensate him 3% of commission rate. What would you suggest? Thank you.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 25 days ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 25 days ago.

What state is this in regards to? So there was an exclusive buyer's agent agreement?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
New York, staten island. Yes the owner has an exclusive agent. I dont have any agreement. The agent I had said he assumes I would not do anything behind his back as he was my agent.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
you are a real estated attorney?
Expert:  legalgems replied 25 days ago.

Yes, I am;

So to be clear, is it the listing agent (with a contract) or the buyer's agent (without a contract) that is requesting the commission? And are they requesting the buyer or the seller to pay the commission?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
second question: i am going to sign the buyer-seller binding paper which is drafted by seller's attorney, should I also find an attorney before I sign the binding paper. what are the legal implications of the binding documents, or my responsibilities? thank you.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Could you please call me? thank you.
Expert:  legalgems replied 25 days ago.

I'm sorry; I am not set up right now to handle phone calls. If you would like to continue on this page, I will definitely do my best to get you the needed information. Please let me know if you would like to continue.

Expert:  legalgems replied 18 days ago.

Did you still have questions?