Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

If you sign an addendum stating you will lease the property

Customer Question

If you sign an addendum stating you will lease the property for another 12 months, before the current lease is up and then rescind it within an hour. And then give you 30 days notice in a timely matter, before the current lease is up, can the addendum still be enforced?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me who prepared the addendum?

.

Was the signed addendum returned to the landlord?

.

How much time is left on the current lease?

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Property Management prepare the addendum. The addendum was drop signed and dropped off at the management company. And the email was sent an hour later asking them to hold off on the addendum. The currently still have 5 weeks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The current lease still had five weeks remaining

Ok, legally the addendum was binding the instant it was signed. There is no ""cooling off period"" for leases or extensions.. So at this point the landlord could hold the tenant to the contract and if they vacated the dwelling, hold them liable for any lost rent until they re-rented the dwelling after the tenant left.

.

The tenant can notify the landlord that they will be vacating and breaching the addendum/renewal lease but the landlord doesn't have to start advertising the property and looking for a new tenant until the current tenant vacates.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks