Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Been paying rent faithfully, and bills but now my water got

Customer Question

Been paying rent faithfully, and bills but now my water got cut off and I just payed, but when I called landlord he say house been foreclosed and have to move immediately, is that at all legal, feel he been taking money for self whole time
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: i'm in Belleville, il and I don't know of any paperwork or had any kinda of notice
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: all of a sudden water was cut off and I just payed, when I called to see what's going on, he say house been foreclosed and I have to move immediately
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have 4 kids and no where to go but all of a sudden i have to move with no notice
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this; can you confirm that no notice of the foreclosure, and no notice to vacate was ever provided? Does the lease specify a termination date, or is it month to month? Also how long have you lived there?