Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

My late wife and her prior late husband had 20 acres in a

Customer Question

My late wife and her prior late husband had 20 acres in a wilderness area of Riverside County, and I initiated selling it under Power Of Attorney at her request before she died, in order to give the money to her 4 sons. Unfortunately she passed away before all the paperwork was done. My attorney here in Indiana recommends that I get a local California attorney. Prior to this I've been dealing with the buyer Enrique Meraz of Hemet and his Realtor Merv Lloyd of Sun City. Because of complications, they've recently got Legal Secretary Mary Contraras to help. I guess we had first to get clear title to my wife Miriam (formerly Brandenburg) Neill, and I think this was achieved when I filled out forms and sent a certified Death Certificate of her late husband Elsworth Brandenburg to Merv Lloyd who was to send it to the Riverside County office. I guess next we need to get it transferred to either myself so I can sell it, or directly to Enrique Meraz. Earlier I had given Enrique a Quit-Claim Deed to the land, and he had forwarded to me 20K via Merv on account. We hope to get it all cleaned up, and I will get the last 10K. But in order for my late wife Miriam to sell it, apparently it needs to go through an Indiana Small Estate Affidavit which must specify precisely what is being sold, and has an upper dollar limit. My Attorney here is ***** *****, Goshen, Indiana. Hopefully you can be of help?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon, and thanks for contacting Just Answer. First, the POA can no longer be used. What I see here so far is that the 20 acres in California can normally be sold by the personal representative of your late wife's estate. She died a resident of Indiana, then the estate might be administered here; however, the sale the property would have to be done by ancillary administration in California . I agree with your Indiana attorney (I am one too) that a California attorney might be a great help and perhaps can get the sale done through the California small estates affidavit procedure, which you have probably been made aware of. It is for estates under $150,000. http://www.ca-trusts.com/smallestates.html. Again, it would appear to be best to let a CA attorney take over from here.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Hello again. I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.