Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

I live in Los Angeles where I have been renting an apartment

Customer Question

Hi, I live in Los Angeles where I have been renting an apartment for three years. I have been living month to month after my last lease expired after the first year. Now, out of the blue my landlord is trying to strong arm me into signing a new lease that will raise my month by $325 per month. Do I have to sign that lease to retain occupancy? Can she begin eviction procedures if I don't. We have been very amicable up until this point but I feel she's juicing me and I don't mind getting ugly. Also every year she has raised my rent a reasonable amount as she is entitled to and I have never said anything.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 4 months ago.

Do I have to sign that lease to retain occupancy? Can she begin eviction procedures if I don't.

Good afternoon and thanks for coming to Just Answer. You do not have to sign the new lease, but if you don't, the landlord can begin to kick you out by giving you 60 days notice that your month-to-month leases being terminated at the end of the 60 day period. That means you will have to move out or negotiate an acceptable increase in the rent and sign a lease that will ensure the rent stays the same for reasonable period of time.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Hello again. I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.