Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My partner and I are breaking up (gay couple). I'm on

Customer Question

My partner and I are breaking up (gay couple). I'm on disability and don't pay rent. He wants to evict me after I've agreed to moving out in a few months. Can he do that?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Washington State
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Not to my knowledge. The home is in his name however.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really. We basically are having a case of domestic abuse. I've not done anything to him. He has a new boyfriend.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

He can evict you. However, he must first give you written notice to move out. Then if you do not move out at the expiration of the notice, he must then file eviction action in Court to obtain Judgment of eviction in order to remove you from the premises.

There is no self-remedy to eviction actions in Washington State. This means that the Landlord (your partner) cannot lock you out or throw your stuff out in order to force you out. The Landlord must use the Court system to accomplish the eviction. Eventhough you are not paying rent, you have acquired Tenant's rights by residing there with no other place as your residence. So, your partner must follow the Landlord-Tenant eviction process in order to remove you from the premises. For more information on the eviction process, click here.

Goodluck with your case,