Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

Do I need a real estate agent to represent my buyer

Customer Question

Do I need a real estate agent to represent my buyer interests in the state of MD, Prince Georges County if I am buying a new build directly from the builder? Or can I hire a real estate attorney to review my documents?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

You definitely do not need an agent in this situation. All an agent does is help find the house. You've already done that and I would make sure you get a price reduction from the seller to pass the benefit of not using a broker on to you. What you really need here is a real estate lawyer to review any contract that is proposed BEFORE you sign it. Builder contracts are usually very biased toward the builder and it's only an attorney who can help you avoid all the "gotcha" provisions. A real estate agent is not only not legally allowed to do that, but also the real estate agent is only interested in making sure your deal closes so the agent gets paid; thus, there is a built in conflict of interest there. :)

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

I just wanted to let you know that I will be logging off for the evening. Should you have a follow up while I’m away, I will address it immediately upon my return in the morning. Thank you in advance for your patience. I apologize for any inconvenience.