Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I had a verbal agreement to purchase a property that was on

Customer Question

I had a verbal agreement to purchase a property that was on a land contract in default, and now the land contract was extended to allow for the sale and the owner now says she is looking at other options. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Unfortunately, a verbal agreement for real estate is not legally enforceable under a legal doctrine called the "Statute of Frauds" which requires any contract regarding the sale or transfer of real estate to be in writing.

.

So I am sorry to say it, but unless it is in writing, it isn't legally binding and you wouldn't have any recourse to force them to sell to you..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks