Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

Is it legal for a buyer to pay the seller cash to have a

Customer Question

Is it legal for a buyer to pay the seller cash to have a lower purchase price? The reason being is they want to transfer their prop 60 and the purchase price of the new home is 3000.00 over the amount to be able to transfer
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that's it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Are you saying that the buyer is paying a certain price, say $103,000 but they want all the paperwork to show $100,000 as the price and they are giving the seller $3,000 in cash?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.