Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.

We have a home in Rancho Mirage CA. We built a small

Customer Question

We have a home in Rancho Mirage CA. We built a small guesthouse without getting permits. The City came by and did a very rough inspection.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: We are now asked to obtain an order for demolition based on some loosely based items. What is the worse case scenario if we don't comply
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We applied for a permit and submitted architectural plans
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 month ago.

From what you are saying here, the worst-case scenario if you do not comply would be city obtaining a court order requiring you to tear down the guest house. Applying for the permit is the right thing to do under the circumstances. If the city actually files suit than you are going to need an attorney to oppose it and get your permit approved. If you stay on it with a good contractor who works with the city, you often can get out of trouble on things like this.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.