Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

I'm in need of assistance. I purchased a condo that was

Customer Question

Hi, I'm in need of assistance. I purchased a condo that was converted from a multifamily in 2011 in MA. Since then there have been numerous defects / malfunctions resulting from poor work from the contractors used to develop my property, that have only surfaced recently.
Most recently, my HVAC unit is need in of replacement due to leaking water. I received an estimate of $10,250K to repair. It was informed to me that the contractor that was used to set up the AC unit, never connected the drain. Accordingly, as long as the AC unit has been running, the water has never drained.
What is the best course of action? Should I take this to small claims or hire an atty? I have several other issues, including a malfunctioning fire alarm, and faulty electrical wiring. Your advice is much appreciated, thank you!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation.

If there are serious defects with the property that you have just with the property that you have just become aware of, there is a six-year statute of limitations in Massachusetts for filing a breach-of-contract action. So if the seller was negligent in upgrading the was negligent in upgrading the property or performing repairs you can hold them liable for the cost of making repairs now to put the property into workman like condition.

However, the limit for small claims court in Massachusetts is only $7,000 so you would need to hire an attorney and sue in a higher court if you wanted to recover all your damages.