socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

The management company staff is too bossy and will not allow

Customer Question

the management company staff is too bossy and will not allow co-owner of units in the condo complex any time or opportunity to voice complaints.80% owners are unhappy with the manager and feel the board of members also are too intimidated by the management company.Please help steer us in the right direction.very grateful
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 months ago.

Michigan's new Condominium Act, which has only just become effective (Sept 21), has no specific provision for the removal of a director. There is, however, a provision in the corporations laws MCL 450.15111 which permits the shareholders (in your case, condominium members) to remove a director based upon a majority vote of the membership.

The threat of removal is really the only actual that will get a board of director's attention. Consequently, if you have a majority of members who are willing to vote for removal, you can show up at a board meeting, demand a vote and vote one of the directors off of the board. And, you can keep doing this until you get enough attention to have something substantial done about the property management.

I could suggest all sorts of other possible recourse, but court action is very costly, and writing and complaining to the board is usually met with a smile, but not much else. Whereas, if a host of members march into the next board meeting and threaten to start removing board members, I'm pretty sure you will get action in a hurry.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.
Thanks again for using Justanswer!