Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I live in and getting ready to close on a home monday. The

Customer Question

I live in Virginia and getting ready to close on a home monday. The court house in the county I am moving to will be closed monday, tuesday and wednesday for repairs. I can still sign the documents monday. The owners of the home i"m moving to signed them today. However because they will not get their money until thursday she made it very clear I was not to move in. Everyone tried to explain to her she would get her money that I can legally move in. Can I move in legally?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

As soon as the seller signs the deed over to you at the closing table, it is your house. That means that you can move in immediately afterward, regardless of what the seller says. The deed is completely legally binding once executed and there is nothing that requires that it even be recorded. People record deeds to put the world on notice that they are the owner of the property.

.

But as soon as it is signed and notarized, the seller has no further legal rights to the property. As long as you don't sign something agreeing not to move in, you are free to do so immediately after closing.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a licensed Realtor for over 13 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if she gets the police there when I'm moving they cannot do anything to me.

No, nothing at all... it is your house. You just show them the deed or a copy of it and they will tell her to leave your property.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank You

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

thanks much

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Very helpful. Quick and to the point. Just the way I like doing business. Thanks again.

Glad to help anytime.. Please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on the rating scale on your screen...smiley faces, stars, numbers.... I am not quite sure what you see on your screen..

.

.

Have a great evening!