RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON'T GO THROUGH WITH THE SALE OF MY HOME

Customer Question

WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON'T GO THROUGH WITH THE SALE OF MY HOME AFTER SIGNING A REAL ESTATE SALE CONTRACT?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. Can you share with me why you would not want to go through with the sale?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Old age and change of heart. 30 years is a long time. Do both spouses have to agree to sell

Thank you for the reply. If a party fails to comply with the contract, perform and close, the buyer can sue them for damages. In this case, it would be any monetary loss or in the alternative, sue or specific performance and ask the Judge to order a forced sale of the home. The contract which was signed should have a damages clause, that lays out what the parties are liable for, in the event of a breach. Both parties do have to agree to sell, since they both have an ownership interest in it and need to sign that away, at closing.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.