Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I AM 70 YEARS OLD AND HAVE SIGNED A CONTRACT TO SELL MY FARM

Customer Question

I AM 70 YEARS OLD AND HAVE SIGNED A CONTRACT TO SELL MY FARM IN HANOVER COUNTY VA. I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND AND WANT OUT OF THE DEAL. WHAT CAN I DO? PLEASE HELP.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under the law, the whole purpose of using written contracts is to bind parties to agreements they make, if they did not do so they would be useless. So, if you try to breach the contract without the other party breaching first or without the other party agreeing to cancel the contract, they can sue you for damages for breaking the contract which can include "specific performance" which means they can ask the court to force you to complete the sale. Thus, if you want out of the deal and the buyer has not breached the contract, you would need to negotiate some type of deal with the buyer for them to agree in writing to cancel the contract for sale.