RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I have a question. I want to make an offer on a house that

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I have a question. I want to make an offer on a house that is being sold "by owner". They said they need an offer in writing. Do I need a real estate lawyer to do this?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: It is in New York state
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No not yet. I have pre-approval for a mortgage and when I get the contract I am to submit it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: However the seller has requested an offer in writing which is good because I have a contingency to put in
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. No, you do not need an attorney. You can obtain and submit your own contract and offer to the seller. You can call and speak with the NY Bar or another realtor or look online, for an approved contract which you feel comfortable using. The seller, should have a contract to offer but if they do not, then you can obtain a contract and submit it with YOUR terms and conditions.

Here is a link as well.

http://www.nycbar.org/for-the-public/legal-forms-and-resources/real-estate-forms

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.