Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

I live in an apt complex built 1995. They have no push

Customer Question

I live in an apt complex built 1995. They have no push buttons to open heave front doors. I believe they need to install a door open. Thanks Craig Dobkin - I live in Superior Colorado
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

If they have no handicapped accessible automatic door openers, then this would be a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act as well as the Fair Housing Act. The Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988 outlines design and construction requirements for covered multi-family dwellings for first occupancy after March 13, 1991. “Covered multi-family dwellings” means buildings consisting of four or more dwelling units if such buildings have one or more elevators; and ground floor dwelling units in other buildings consisting of four or more dwelling units.

So you can tell the management that they either install an automatic door opener or you visit the closest civil rights attorney and will file suit for violation of federal law and they can see whether it is cheaper to defend a case in federal court or install an automatic door opener..

If they ignore you, contact a local civil rights or disability rights attorney and they may be able to just send a letter threatening to sue them to scare them into putting in the opener..