socallegalwork, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and licensed real estate broker (and Certified Distressed Property Expert), specializing in real estate matters.

I own a house in Los Angeles in a HOA. Changes are reviewed

Customer Question

I own a house in Los Angeles in a HOA. Changes are reviewed by an Architectural committee and apparently neighbors have 10 days to express any concerns.
I was away for work for two weeks and during that time the commitee has approved a change to my neighbor's house that i have an issue with. Because the document was placed at my house and I was away and was never contacted any other way, they say that the decision is final
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
How can they approve something without even checking if the neighbors have even received the docs to review? No attempt to call or email or send the doc certified, it was just slipped under the door...
Expert:  socallegalwork replied 29 days ago.

Hello. I will try to assist you. Unfortunately, it may well be within the rules. HOA's are given tremendous leeway and it really comes down to whether the notice provided was adequate per the HOA rules. If the HOA followed its own internal rules there is not much you can do except raise the issue at the next HOA meeting. You can look through your association's own rules of procedure and confirm they were followed. If not, you can raise this point with the HOA.