Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

If I have my name on a trailer but never paid for it and my

Customer Question

If I have my name on a trailer but never paid for it and my co owner died and her husband is paying still on line of credit for the trailer can he sue me as I never paid a dime for it but it is in my name
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 30 days ago.

Unfortunately yes. Joint owners of property are responsible for paying their share of the properties expenses such as loan payments, taxes, maintenance costs etc. If one of the owners pays for the the entire expense of the property, that owner is entitled to reimbursement from the other joint owner in an amount equal to their share of ownership. And this right to reimbursement would transfer to the heirs of the owner if, as is your situation, that owner dies.

So you could be potentially sued for reimbursement for your share of the expenses of the trailer.

Sorry if this is not the information you wanted to hear.