Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney

I am currently a tenant in a foreclosed home the house went

Customer Question

i am currently a tenant in a foreclosed home the house went up for auction and the bank has ownership of the house the landlord is no where to be found.. my question is once the bank takes over the house what are my option i still have a lease that valid until jan of 2017
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using

A 2009 federal law, the Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act, afforded tenants the right to continue to occupy the property for at least 90 days after the property changed hands because of foreclosure. In many cases, tenants were able to stay for the full duration of their lease. That law has since expired, as of Dec. 31, 2014. Now tenants have little to no rights in these circumstances. The state of Pennsylvania does provide the new owner to give you 30 days notice to move out. Tenants are still bound to honor the terms of their lease agreement even after the property changes hands. They must make rent payments to the new owner until such time as the lease expires or the owner offers a new lease or serves notice of eviction. Of course, you can always make a new deal with the new owner and continue to live there and sign a new lease. If you pay a rental check to the new owner and they accept, then you have established a month to month oral lease but this can also be cancelled with 30 days notice. Basically, you lease is terminated upon the foreclosure but you have to be given 30 days notice to move and you can make a new deal with the new owner.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so:

Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 30 days ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?