Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.

I'm on the HOA board in Texas. We want to amend a 2003

Customer Question

I'm on the HOA board in Texas. We want to amend a 2003 Amendment to our CCRs. The 2003 amendment allowed basketball goals. The Declarant in charge of our division did this. It wasn't voted on by homeowners. It is a neighborhood safety, space, and violation issue with storage. We want amend to no basketball goals. Our CCRs clearly state in 2 locations that the board may from time to time, without the consent of the homeowners, promulgate rules, modify and delete rules. Homeowners may amend with a 67% vote of members. Can the board make the amendment.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Traditionally, CC&Rs are changed only with permission of the Court, which has to agree that the relevant covenant no longer applies and is outdated for the neighborhood.

However, more and more CC&Rs verbiage includes that CC&Rs may be changed by the HOA, with 67% of total voting power standard - this is what you seem to have.

What you have to do is look at the verbiage. That 67% - is it by the BOARD or ALL MEMBERS? If by the Board only, then if the Board gets to 67% it can be changed. If it is by ALL MEMBERS, then majority of all owners, then it has to be 67% of all owners.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.