Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

Am I allowed to cut the branches off of my neighbor's bush

Customer Question

Am I allowed to cut the branches off of my neighbor's bush if those branches extend onto my property? I only want to cut the part that is on my property.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Columbia, SC
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, but I cut the branches off her overgrown bush that extended onto my property so the grass on my side could be cut. My neighbor got mad.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I am here to help you with your question. We may discuss the issues too. Let me know that sounds good.

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 2 months ago.
Welcome to JA and thank you for your question.

Have you discussed it with your neighbor?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I talked to my neighbor. She wants the bushes in her yard to remain uncut, grass high, and vine weeds all over the fence.I offered to have the bushes on her side of the fence cut at my expense. She said I was not allowed to cut her bushes even if they come over on to my side.

An owner of one property is permitted to cut branches that go on to the property. When cutting the branches, one would have to make sure that the roots of the vegetation is not damaged. We can discuss more if you want to do so.

Hello: I have not heard back from you. Do you want to continue to discuss your question or are we complete? Please let me know. Thank you.