RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

My situation is similar. My husband was awarded 100% of the

Customer Question

My situation is similar. My husband was awarded 100% of the net proceeds from the sale of the house. I had always made the mortgage payments for 18+ years and was ordered to keep making them until the house was sold.
Now he wants to keep ALL of the escrow ($2500) and insurance refund ($245) checks and is threatening me with an Order to Enforce if I don't sign them over to him this afternoon.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. Based upon what you shared above, you husband may be wrong. The reason why I say this is because if he was awarded the net proceeds from the sale, that is ALL he would be entitled to. Any else would/should be returned to you or at least shared, absent language in the divorce decree, stating otherwise. Here, you shared that you have been making the payments as court ordered, so anything that is not consider or part of the net proceeds, should be returned to you. If you do not sign it over, the burden would be on him, to take you back to court, to try and enforce this and at that time, it would be up to the Judge to decide.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!