Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

How do I change from joint tenancy to tenancy in common?

Customer Question

Good morning,
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: How do I change from joint tenancy to tenancy in common? Same current owners, just change of tenancy
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: West Palm Beach, Florida
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No. Our deed is Joint Tenancy. The property was bought 2 years ago
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We are three owners, the tenancy in common will be 50% one of them and the other two the other 50%
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

This is a simple process for which you do not need to engage a lawyer. The owners simply need to sign a quit claim deed transferring title transferring title from themselves as joint tenants to themselves as tenants in common. The deed needs to be witnessed, notarized, and then recorded in the real property records of the city/county in which the property is located. If you need a template for a quit claim deed, let me know and I'll be happy to provide you one.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

I just wanted to let you know that I will be away at a meeting for the next hour or so. Should you have a follow up while I’m away, I will address it immediately upon my return. Thank you in advance for your patience. I apologize for any inconvenience.