legalgems, Arbitrator
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

Over a year ago, I was contacted by the Home Advocacy

Customer Question

Over a year ago, I was contacted by the Home Advocacy Network that recommended Stanford Law Group (San Francisco) to represent and obtain a mortgage modification on my behalf from Select Portfolio Servicing. The mortgage was originally with Bank of America. I paid Stanford Law Group about $2600.00 for their attorney services. This afternoon, September 20, 2016, one of their legal assistants, Helena Martinson contacted me by phone and informed me that the total mortgage monthly payment trial would be $1723.00 (a $23.00 difference than previous which is greater than 50% of my income; no change to the total mortgage or percentage although I am under water. My home has significantly decreased in value. Also the mortgage amount no paid during the so-called modification period would be placed at the back of the loan. I also must pay SPS the first trial amount by October 1, 2016. (A 2-week notice). Stanford was aware that with Bank of America my loan increased from $200,000./no more than $204,000.00 to $300,000.00 plus, although I did not borrow any additional funds before the loan processing was sold to Bayview and then to SPS. Also Stanford Law Group has filed for bankruptcy and is supposedly closing it business. What options is available to me especially with the short time that I have?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Bank of America is in Chicago, Illinois; Stanford Law is in San Francisco,CA and SPS is in Salt Lake City, Utah ###-##-####
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I sent in several documents requested at various times to Stanford Law Group. I was told that these documents were sent to SPS.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: At this moment, I cannot think of much else. ***** ***** was my contact at the Home Advocacy Network.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry the loan modification is causing trouble; unfortunately they often do.

You can contact the state bar to see if the law firm is in good standing; if they are, and they are in breach of their contract by failing to obtain a satisfactory loan modification program, they can be held liable. If they made any misrepresentations or otherwise did not follow the rules of professional conduct a complaint can be filed here:

Other complaints are located here:

and here

fortunately the state bar does have a client recovery fund so if the defendant law firm is insolvent, the fund can pay out any damages. information on that fund is here:

and the rules of professional conduct are here: (It is best to review each rule to see if any were violated over the course of the relationship).

There has been a recent crack down on illegitimate loan modification scams as some companies make promises and then do not live up to them (misrepresentation, breach of contract, fraud in the inducement); more information can be read here:

If this appears to be the case, complaints can also be filed with the FTC

If the group files for bankruptcy then any refunds will generally be pennies on the dollar for paid for services; but that is where the client security fund can come in handy.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.