Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

Please advise my being harassed by my neighbor/ex real

Customer Question

Please advise my being harassed by my neighbor/ex real estate agent that sold me the property in 2012. After 3 yrs of harassment she has turned me into the board after trespassing on my property and taking pictures. Complaint: too many potted plants,
bird feeders and yard art, most of which cannot be seen from the road as I'm on a hill. I had the committee on my property and removed all requested items and hired a gardener to remove some dead wood brush. I informed the director and he said he would check it back out. I heard nothing for a week and at the last minute last Friday I got an email that the board meeting was being changed. So, although I have tried to comply with all requests, they still want more from me to appear before the board. I believe they are trying to railroad me out. For my defense I have 25 pictures of other homes with many potted plants and many empty ugly pots that can be seen by any visitor driving by, but I now feel they are gonna surprise me with even more that I will not be able to handle. It is a vacation home and I am only there a few days a month. I believe something fishier is going on here. Can you help me as I am ignorant to this. Thank you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 months ago.

Yes, they may be trying to rack up fees for violations and then put a lien on the house maybe thinking that you will not be around to defend it. The agent may have plans to try to sell the house down the road.

There are no easy answers here. You will need to hire a local association law attorney to threaten a selective enforcement suit to keep these folks at bay. Such a letter may cost you about $500.00 but it may make it difficult for them to move forward and plus they will have to serve all notices to your lawyer so you do not miss any underhanded tactics that they may try to employ.

What county is the home located in?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fallbrook, North San Diego County. I have just put on a new roof, added a sun room, planted red apple and many succulents on the first part of the hill where all had died and redone the interior of the 1986 manufactured home.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm looking for a lawyer for this but not one that they are already associated with as I have been thinking what you said is the plan. It's in Rancho Monserate Country Club. Can you refer a good lawyer to help me with this harassment? Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not rich, just a retired school teacher trying to live a decent life.
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 months ago.

We are not permitted to refer any particular attorney or to represent JA's customers; but this link may help you find a real estate litigation lawyer that specializes in HOA suits.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've looked there but how am I to really know that the lawyer isn't sided with them as it is a small area and they've been there for 30 years?