Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

In oklahoma, regarding the required number of years to

Customer Question

In oklahoma, regarding the required number of years to qualify for adverse possession. Do the years transfer with new ownership? What I am asking is, if i recently purchased a peice of real estate and the previous owners qualified for adverse possession on a few feet of the neighbors land, do I still qualify even though I have only been there for 3 months? Or does the required time start over on the date I acquired the land?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

The time period for adverse possession "tacks" from owner to owner. It does not start over every time the ownership of the property changes. The issue is with the elements of adverse possession, not with the owner. So, your time does not start the period over; rather, you can count all the years during which the adverse possession occurred regardless of ownership.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!